How to Obtain a Social Security Card
- Go to the Social Security Office located at 169 Walnut Ave in Santa Cruz.
- Obtain an application for a Social Security card (see link below).
- Complete the application (make sure to use your local address) and give it to the Social Security representative (a replacement Social Security card is free).
- To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity. If you were born outside the U.S., you must also provide documents to prove your U.S. citizenship or current, lawful, work-authorized status.
- The representative will give you a receipt letter stating that you applied for a replacement Social Security card.
- Bring the letter to the Career Center for employment verification. This letter will allow you to complete the employment documents and receive your Clearance to Commence Work Authorization card (Blue card).
- You will receive your Social Security card in the mail within 10-14 days.
- When you receive your new card, you must bring it to the Career Center in order to complete your hiring status (the letter only allows you to be in the payroll system as ‘pending’ status for 30 days).
Social Security Administration Office Hours
Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Wednesdays 9:00 am-12:00 pm
You may complete and print the application before you go to the office: