How Parents Can Help
- If your son or daughter is undecided about a major, encourage him/her to explore various disciplines which are of interest and in which he/she has the academic skills to successfully complete.
- Encourage your son or daughter to visit the Career Center early in his/her academic career. With careful planning, a satisfying career or successful application to a graduate or professional program will await them upon graduation.
- Encourage your son or daughter to obtain career-related work experience before graduation. Internships are an ideal way get work experience, explore potential careers or "audition" for a career position.
- Discuss various career opportunities with your son or daughter. Discuss what you do professionally. Introduce him/her to people in various career fields. Help him/her to look at different career options.
- Encourage your son or daughter to develop a resume and interviewing techniques. The Career Center offers workshops, critiques resumes, and conduct mock interviews.
- Encourage your employer to offer internships and summer jobs to university students. Consider becoming a mentor to students in these positions.
- Consider becoming a resource for students interested in exploring your career field by joining the Career Advice Network.
- Make a donation to support internship programs which provide students with practical work experience, job exploration opportunities, and help pay for their education.