Recommendations and References
If you have specific questions or concerns, contact an adviser via email or phone.
Store your letters for graduate school or to use at a later time.
Letter of Recommendation
- A reference sheet is a list of 2-3 people whom you have had professional and/or academic relationships that can attest to your skills, experience, and work ethic.
- Do not use personal references like family and friends.
- For each reference provide the name, their title, email, phone number, and your relationship with them.
- Notify all your references that you will use their information and what you're applying for so that they can prepare the best recommendation possible for the position.
- Give the employer the reference sheet
- Let your references know about your subsequent success and how they helped you to attain your goal
- If you'd like to provide information to your references, include areas of your outstanding performance, such as quality papers projects, or responsibilities in which you excelled in and a recent resume
- Check out the reference guide.
- A letter of recommendation is a letter written by people who know you and your capabilitiess, such as professors, community college instructors, advisors or counselors, any supervisors, or influential friends who have known you for a long time.
- Relatives are not a good choice.
- The letter should be addressed to the employer or
- Give the writers enough time, at least one month, to
- Once you receive your letters, send the writers thank you notes.
- You should also let writers know about your subsequent success and how much their letters helped you to attain your goal
- If you are a letter writer, or would like to provide your letter writer with writing tips, click here
- To learn where and how to store your letters for later use. Eg applying to grad school in later years
UC Santa Cruz Career Center has partnered with Interfolio, Inc. to provide state of the art online credential file management services. This service is an easy, safe, reliable service, which sends application materials to graduate and professional schools, or as a PhD to send academic credentials to a search committee 24/7.Requests are processed within one business day (upon receipt of files), with multiple mailing options. The service is affordable and flexible.
When applying to law or medical school, Interfolio can be useful in maintaining letters after the application process is complete.
If you are applying to law school or medical school, please check out these other services for sending letters of recommendation:
Law school (LSDS)
Medical school (AMCAS)