Frequently Asked Questions

Where are all our job listing sites?

Search the Student Employee Request (ER) system for all work-study and on-campus non-work-study jobs. Search SlugQuest for off-campus full and part-time jobs. Internships are listed in both systems

Back to top

Employee Request System (ER System)

  1. Instructions to Login 
  2. Where to find work study
  3. Getting hired from the ER System

Back to top


  1. Instructions to Login
  2. I can't click the apply button
  3. Posting a job

Back to top


  1. What is Work-Study?
  2. How do I know if I'm eligible for Work-Study?
  3. Am I guaranteed a job if I qualify for Work-Study?
  4. Where do I apply for Work-Study jobs?
  5. What are the benefits of working on campus?
  6. Complete handout regarding everything about work study
  7. Need more information?
  1. Work-Study is a federal program that allows on-campus and select off-campus employers to hire students at a reduced cost. The program pays a percentage of a student's wages and the remaining balance is paid by the employer
    • Students in the Work-Study program are awarded a set dollar amount which their wages for the academic year may not exceed.
    • Only students who qualify for Work-Study may apply for Work-Study designated positions
  2. Check if Work-Study award is listed on your FAFSA form. Visit and click on "My Aid Award" to view the maximum amount of money you may earn for the year.
    • Contact UCSC's Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to learn more about applying and qualifying for Work-Study 
  3. No. While there are over 4,000 student positions on-campus and several entry-level positions are readily available, there is no job placement guarantee for Work-Study students and the application process is competitive. 
  4. All Work-Study positions at UCSC are posted on the Career Center's Employee Request System our Career and Peer Advisers can assist you in navigating the job search, writing a resume and cover letter, and refining your interview skills to help you strengthen you application
  5. Convenient work location a short walking distance from your residence hall and classrooms
    • Flexible work schedules to accommodate your class time and study needs
    • Gain transferable skills and begin your professional development 
    • Discover potential career paths
    • Begin networking with faculty, staff, organizations, and other students!

Need more Information?

Visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Or in person: 205 Hahn Student Services Building, 
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064
(831) 459-2963
M-F 10am-4pm

Back to top

When should I start looking for an internship, part-time job, or summer job?

Begin searching in the preceding fall semester in order to take full advantage of all the resources and job listings available to you. Some deadlines to apply are very early in the school year. If you begin looking early, you will have the time to conduct a thorough job search even though your academic schedule may be demanding of your time. See System Access for eligibility and access dates.

Back to top

How can I get a job if I have no job experience?

Employers value skills developed through academic work, volunteer experiences, extracurricular experiences, or other experience which demonstrates skills useful in work. Not all of these skills are job type specific; some of these skills are general such as communication and analytical skills and can transfer to different settings. And routine types of student jobs can demonstrate to employers that you have been a successful employee.

If a job does require some very specific experience, you might consider finding a more routine position in a setting similar to where you would eventually like to hold a job with greater responsibilities.

Back to top

Why can't I find a job?

We know how frustrating it can be to be looking for work and it seems particularly difficult this year. UCSC hires over 4,000 students each year and most students, who actively search, are able to find jobs. The main thing is perseverance. All campus jobs must be applied for on-line using the ER system.

There are new jobs posted almost every day throughout the year, particularly near the beginning of each quarter, so check often. Jobs are approved for posting all day long, but most are approved in the mornings. You must apply for numerous jobs to increase your chances of being hired. Follow up with jobs you have already applied for.

Network by talking to supervisors at dining halls, the gym, library, or any place you think you might want to work. Almost all campus departments hire some students. Some high turnover units may have job openings that may never get posted. In the world of career employment, 80% of jobs never get advertised and are found through networking connections. Talk to your professors about working for them, and talk to students that already have jobs.

To improve your chances of success, submit a high-quality application. Create a saved application, under “My Applications” and print it out to proofread. Be sure to check spelling and include any volunteer work you may have done as well as other information about your strengths and skills. Supervisors receive large numbers of applications, and a simple spelling error may cause them to go on to the next. Please read the job description and qualifications thoroughly as some positions ask for extra information, such as a resume and/or cover letter.

If you have work-study, you may also apply for non-work-study campus jobs and consider the SlugQuest jobs and internship listings as well. The only difference between work-study and non-work-study jobs is the source of funds. You may apply for either type of position and there is no penalty if you do not earn your work-study award.

The main Career Center portal for off-campus career and part-time jobs and internships is SlugQuest

Other local Santa Cruz job search resources are located here

Meet with one of our Career Advisers to help target job search, resume, cover letters, and more!

Back to top

What can I do to increase my chances of finding a good job?

In addition to looking at our job listings, diligently network with people who may have contact suggestions for you, approach employers of interest to you directly, be sure you have put your best effort into writing your resume and are prepared to handle interview questions well. consider being more flexible if you are having difficulty. For a summer position, can you consider other geographical areas? Be sure to attend our Job Search Strategies workshop. Or talk with one of our Career Counselors or Jobs Developers if you need additional information. Also, see Why I Can't Find a Job for more information.

Back to top

Can I have someone review my resume?

Yes, sign up for an appointment or come to drop-in advising

Back to top

On Campus Interviews

  1. Information
  2. List of Events

Back to top

Just got hired

  1. Make sure you got hired! Even if you have talked to the employer and they have verbally given you the job, you cannot begin the required document process until you have physically applied for the job on the ER system and the employer has gone into the ER system and hit hire. 
  2. Once you are hired you will receive an email informing you have been hired and whether you have to come to the Career Center with the required documents 
  4. Come to the Career Center to sign up for payroll M-F 8-4:30 
  5. Once you are signed up for payroll you may begin working and logging your hours in CruzPay

Back to top

Social Security Card

  1. Go to the Social Security Office located at 169 Walnut Ave in Santa Cruz.
  2. Obtain an application for a Social Security card (see link below).
  3. Complete the application (make sure to use your local address) and give it to the Social Security representative (a replacement Social Security card is free).
  4. To apply for a replacement card, you must provide one document to prove your identity. If you were born outside the U.S., you must also provide documents to prove your U.S. citizenship or current, lawful, work-authorized status.
  5. The representative will give you a receipt letter stating that you applied for a replacement Social Security card.
  6. Bring the letter to the Career Center for employment verification. This letter will allow you to complete the employment documents and receive your Clearance to Commence Work Authorization card (Blue Card).
  7. You will receive your Social Security card in the mail within 10-14 days.
  8. When you receive your new card, you must bring it to the Career Center in order to complete your hiring status (the letter only allows you to be in the payroll system as ‘pending’ status for 30 days).


View Larger Map  

          8Application and Instructions

Social Security Administration Office Hours
Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Wednesdays 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Phone: 1-800-593-8523

You may complete and print the application before you go to the office

Back to top

Can I receive credit for an internship?

Yes, internships can be paid, non-paid, or you can receive academic credit. You need to talk with the appropriate departmental advisor. The advisor can provide you with forms that will have to be signed by the student and professor.

Back to top

How many hours can I work as a student?

When classes are in session, students are encouraged to work less than 20 hours per week, if more you need to receive written permission from your supervisors, provosts, and send it to the CruzPay office.

Back to top

Cruz Pay:

  • Most, but not all, student employees will report their time worked via CruzPay. Check with your supervisor.
  • It may take two to three weeks after you complete payroll sign-up at the Career Center before you can access CruzPay, the online timekeeping system.
  • username and password for CruzPay will be sent to your UCSC email address.
  • You may download a paper time sheet from the CruzPay site to use until you get your password. 
  • If you have to submit a time sheet before you are set up with CruzPay then you must fill out a paper timesheet, have it signed by your supervisor and fax it to the CruzPay office
  • If you have submitted a time sheet, but have not signed up for Direct Deposit, you can pick up your timesheet at your college's housing office. If the paycheck remains in the housing office for more than a month, then the paycheck will be mailed to CruzPay office which is located off-campus.
  • This is the calendar for when you will receive paychecks Google Biweekly Pay Dates Calendar
  • If you have any questions about accessing CruzPay, use the contact information on the CruzPay website or contact your timekeeper directly. 
  • Special instructions for Off-campus work-study students.

Back to top

What salary can I expect?

Salaries vary according to experience and skill required, year in school, type of position, and location of the business. Students working in Santa Cruz County can expect to earn around $8-$17/hour and up depending on the position.

For more information about accepting/declining job offers and negotiating salary, click here

Back to top

I have a problem with my employer

If you have a problem or complaint about your employer, the Career Center will try to help you informally resolve the issue and can direct you on how to proceed with a formal complaint if the issue is not immediately resolved. Please see the complaint process in the Career Center Policies and Procedures manual. The Career Center contacts and other offices that can assist you are listed below.

For all student employment issues, both on and off-campus, please contact the Career Center Director, Barbara Silverthorne, through her assistant at (831) 459-4021, or directly at (831) 459-4590

Additional Resources:

Back to top

Direct Deposit and Taxes:

 at your service logo

New Users:

Click the New User link found below the normal sign-in boxes
Log in to At Your Service On-line.
Use your social security number as your username
Use your birth date in the form mm/dd/yyyy for your password, For example, January 14th, 1981 = 01141981.
If you are unable to log in, contact UC Customer Service for login questions or to have your password reset: 
(800) 888-8267 M-F, 8:30am-4:30pm
  1. Log in to At Your Service On-line
  2. Sign up for Direct Deposit (allow two business days after signing up on payroll for access) to get your paycheck directly submitted to your bank account instead of going to a housing office and having to remember to pick it up every 2 weeks 
  3. More Information about taxes (Payroll website)or (IRS web site)

Log in to At Your Service On-line - see instructions below.
(allow two business days for access)

Sign up for Direct Deposit (recommended) or make changes to existing agreement

Make changes to your income tax withholding (W-4)

The default income tax withholding allowance for all new hires is "Single, 0",
which represents unmarried with zero dependents.
This status results in the maximum amount being withheld from your paycheck.

Some people think of this as a forced savings account because when you file your
tax return, you may have a large tax refund due.

If you wish to claim from tax withholding or modify your status,

You may claim Exempt if you meet both of these conditions:

  • Last year you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability and
  • This year you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability.

Note: If another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return, you cannot claim exemption from withholding if your income exceeds $950 and includes more than $300 of unearned income (for example, interest and dividends).

A paper W-4 tax form may also be requested at the Career Center.

More Information (Payroll website)

More Information (IRS web site)

Back to top

W2 Forms

  • A W-2 tax form shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes.
  • W-2 tax forms are mailed by February 1st to your permanent address on file with payroll unless you opt to receive it on-line. 
    • Even if you did not opt for the on-line delivery of your W-2, it will still be available on-line on February 15th.
    • If you did not receive it, and cannot access it as described above, you will need to contact the Payroll Office.
  • You can view your earnings and download a W2 for tax filing.
  • Fill out your W-2 as instructed
  • Attach your W-2 to the front of your tax returns

Back to top