Required Documents

You must come to the Career Center with the following Required Documents: Printable List (pdf)
(Non US citizens may have additional documentation requirements)
UNEXPIRED ORIGINALS ONLY, photocopies of these documents will NOT be accepted.

LIST A: Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
(Any ONE of the following documents will satisfy the requirement)

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I094A indication nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI

If you do not have one of the documents listed above, you will have to provide TWO documents - one to prove identity (List B), and one to prove that you are authorized to work in the U.S. (List C):

LIST B: Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

    For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document above:
  10. School record or report card
  11. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  12. Day-care or nursery record
LIST C: Documents that Establish Employment Authorization
  1. Social Security Account Number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
  2. Certification of Birth abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  4. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  5. Native American tribal document
  6. U.S. Citizen ID card (Form I-197)
  7. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  8. Employment authorization document issued by Department of Homeland Security

* You may apply for a new or duplicate social security card, free of charge. When you apply for a duplicate, they will give you a receipt. This receipt will get you temporally on payroll for one month. You must bring your new card to the Career Center when you receive it, in order to continue to receive your paychecks. The office is located in downtown Santa Cruz.

Instructions and Application

Social Security Administration 1-800-593-8523
169 Walnut Ave.
Santa Cruz, CA

UCSC Career Center
Bay Tree building, Third Floor
Hours: 8am - 5pm
(No payroll sign ups after 4:30)